ITU statement thread

Emma Llanso ellanso at cdt.org
Wed Oct 17 16:40:11 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Apologies if I've missed discussion about this statement in another
thread, but I thought it might be helpful to provide links to some of
the existing civil society statements about the WCIT (which many of you
are familiar with already!), including:

https://www.cdt.org/letter-for-civil-society-involvement-in-WCIT
https://www.cdt.org/letter/sign-letter-opposing-itu-authority-over-internet
http://isocbg.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/statement/

In terms of specific proposals that raise significant concerns, CDT has
identified several categories of proposals that both raise human rights
concerns and seem likely to be the subject of much debate at WCIT.  I've
included some discussion and text of proposals below, and would be very
curious to hear others' thoughts about what specific issues raise concerns.

Best,
Emma

1) Regulation of traffic routing - Some states have proposed a new
provision that would give states the right to know where traffic has
been routed, and the right to regulate routing of traffic for security
and fraud purposes.  If this provision is applied to regulate the route
of Internet traffic, it would require technical changes to the Internet
that would give governments additional tools to block traffic to and
from certain websites or countries.  Regulations on routing could also
enable greater tracking of users by their IP addresses. This provision
is put forward in the name of security and fraud, but their necessity,
proportionality, and impact on the right to privacy and freedom of
expression has not been fully assessed.

Exact text: Egypt and the Arab States regional group have proposed that
"A Member State shall have the right to know through where its traffic
has been routed, and should have the right to impose any routing
regulations in this regard, for purposes of security and countering
fraud." A similar proposal has been made by the Regional Commonwealth
group of states (RCC) and is also supported by Russia.

2) Allowable limitations on public access and use of telecommunications
- Russia and the Regional Commonwealth group of
states (RCC) have put forward a proposal that requires Member States to
ensure access and use of international telecommunications services, but
allows an exception for when telecommunications is used "for the purpose
of interfering in the internal affairs or undermining the sovereignty,
national security, territorial integrity and public safety of other
States, or to divulge information of a sensitive nature."  The Internet
has become an essential tool for the exercise of a range of human
rights.  This proposal is inconsistent with human rights standards that
articulate when governments may permissibly limit the right to freedom
of expression under Article 19 of the ICCPR and Article 10 of the ECHR.
  This proposal could be used to legitimize
restrictions on a range of human rights, including freedom of
expression, association, and assembly.

3) Internet access and net neutrality - The European Telecommunications
Network Operators Association (ETNO), a Sector
Member at the ITU, has proposed a series of changes to how networks on
the Internet connect to each other. For example, ETNO proposes a
"sending party pays" system, where content providers would have to pay
fees to reach the user who wants to access that content.  Some civil
society organizations believe this system would result in increased
costs of Internet access for users, especially in less developed
countries, since the fees companies pay would be then passed on to
users.  The ETNO proposal also encourages ISPs to make special deals
with content companies to prioritize their content, which undermines net
neutrality online.  Taken together, the effect of the ETNO  proposal
would be to increase the cost of Internet access and limit equal access
to information online.  Again, the full impact of the ETNO proposal on
Internet access and the ability of individuals to seek and receive
information online must be fully assessed.

--
Emma J. Llansó
Policy Counsel