ITU statement thread

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Oct 25 10:21:01 EDT 2012

Hi everyone

Thanks for getting us started, Emma, very helpful.

A couple weeks ago Jeremy and I were going around on possible ways to boot up this process.  One option considered was to have some of the folks that most closely follow the issues around the two statements get started with some drafting of bits for collective consideration, but we ultimately decided this was a bad idea.  With a diverse group, some of whom may not have worked together before, it seemed better to move in a completely inclusive bottom up way from the beginning so that anyone who wants to follow or weigh in can do so at the most formative stages.  Setting up these lists seemed a good way to get that started, and we might want to try pushing as far as we can before meeting so the F2F bit is less stressed.  So let's see what we can do?

I guess the first and foundational question is what style of letter with what principal focus.  I've stated my views previously,

On Oct 16, 2012, at 2:32 PM, William Drake wrote:

>> On the other hand, if we just want to give a list of preachments to the ITU on how should be conduct its business, I am game for it. That is much more doable.
>
> I certainly hope this is not what we'll do in the WCIT statement.  Statements critiquing the ITU's MO proved useful earlier in the process, e.g. by pressing governments to agree to the landmark, watershed, historic (quoting the press office) release of a document that had already been leaked and widely accessed.  If you know the zeitgeist in tower, this was news.  And more generally, those statements made senior staff who'd previously declared they'd be unaffected by any muttering among the riff raff launch an unprecedented counter-offensive perception management gambit, complete with a Twitter "storm" (tee hee) and website telling critics that their concerns are all myths.  So all good.
>
> What's needed now though is something different—less meta, more focused on specific aspects of Dubai.  There's a proposal that the conference chair declare some sessions open to the public.  One imagines there will be push back from the usual suspects; it'd be good to briefly make the case.  Beyond this, I'd hope we can focus on the concrete proposals that could be problematic for the Internet and offer substantive counterpoints.  Ideally, these should acknowledge that in some cases governments may have real legitimate concerns, but point out the downsides of overreach and that there are other, more effective ways to deal with them than via a multilateral treaty on telecom. In other words, be positive in tone and content.  If we do that, at least some delegations might have a look before tossing the responses to the ITU's public comment call into the trash, and that would establish another reference point for delegates carrying similar messages.  BTW, such a statement could also feed into the CIR main session in Baku, which will discuss WCIT issues.

So my pref would be that as a starting point, we divide up the main topics/bad proposals potentially impacting the Internet and each prepare a tight paragraph or two response, perhaps with bullet point conclusions, that sort of a) respectfully acknowledges the concerns behind the proposals, b) says why the proposed solution is overreaching and likely to have unforeseen negative consequences, c) indicates a better way to go about addressing the problem, and d) offers preferred language.  Maybe not in that order, but you see what I mean.  Aggregation of and editing for consistent style a bunch of such mini-statements would be fairly easy to do in Baku, then we'd just need a chapeau and closing, and voila, we'd have the sort of input document delegates are used to reading, and perhaps one that wouldn't head straight to the circular file.

Speaking of circular files: I would not in the text make references to civil society thinks this or feels that.  Many delegates read that as "fifth column for Western domination thinks this or feels that."  They know who we are, basically.  Let's not stand around calling attention to it, and just stick to the issues at hand.

At least, that's what I'd do.

Does anyone have a different preferred plan we could start in on?

Best,

Bill