ITU statement thread

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Oct 2 06:20:00 EDT 2012

The original plan was to have two small drafting groups for our two
output documents, which a core of interested participants could join to
come up with some zero-draft text as a starting point for discussions in
Baku.

As things haven't worked out that way so far, it has been suggested we
bring the discussion back onto the main list.  To that end, I am
starting two threads, for discussion of the two statements.  I'm
beginning with the ITU statement.

I do not consider myself an expert on the ITU (certainly not compared to
some of you), so I am not going to propose any actual text.  But in
general terms, it is hoped that the statement would by a strong and
unified civil society position to which most of us subscribe, not only
pushing back against the ITU's mission creep and pointing out its
deficits with respect to the WSIS process criteria (openness,
multi-stakeholderism, etc), but being quite specific about the issues on
the table for WCIT.  What issues do we already know are the key ones for
our members or constituents?

So, please use this thread to discuss ideas, and once they are more
progressed, some draft text could go into a (currently empty) pad at
http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/ITU.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission -- download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational