[Governance] : US-EU declaration and digital governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 16 07:56:11 EDT 2021

>From the Summit declaration:

The TTC (high-level EU-US Trade and Technology Council) will ... include
a working group on reviewing and strengthening our *most critical supply
chains. Notably, we commit to building an EU-US partnership on the
rebalancing of global supply chains in semiconductors with a view to
enhancing EU and US respective security of supply as well as capacity to
design and produce the most powerful and resource efficient
semiconductors. ***

**

Fine enough. the US and EU has the right to secure their critical supply
chains, like domestic design and production of semi-conductors or
silicon chips. They have the right to develop industrial policies to
ensure sufficient domestic control over the supply of silicon chips.

But my question is: why do developing countries not have the
corresponding right to secure who owns AI about them, which is built
from the data that flows freely out of them, as US and EU insist should
keep flowing freely out.

Why cannot developing countries too have digital industrial polices to
ensure the far more important thing of having enough domestic control
over AI about them, which will decide how all economic, social and
political systems run?

What is more important to control, and a better justification for
digital industrial policies: where do chips come from or who owns Ai
about us, individually and of our group, cohort, community, group,
nation and country?

But we are to a world order where the most powerful fully dictate, what
qualifies to be a problem, and what could be a solution ... There is no
logic, just power, behind such determinations.

parminder