[Governance] Joint CS statement: People’s health and rights – and not intellectual property and profit – should be at the centre of responses to the COVID-19 crisis

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Wed Jun 16 15:31:10 EDT 2021

Dear all,

With a group of civil society organisations working on Intellectual
Property issues and digital rights, including member organisations based
in India, we identified the need to express a collective voice in
support to the proposal for a waiver in response to Covid-19 pandemic.
In that sense, we aim to share our perspective on the impact of the
trade regime for intellectual property rights (IPR) protection to
exercise the right to health and to access to live-saving medication. We
also aim to provide a critical perspective of the interactions between
this issue and the role of digital technologies to respond to the health
crisis.

We expect to contribute to the global debate on this issue in the
framework of the negotiations happening at the Word Trade Organisation.

The statement is available here:
https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/joint-civil-society-statement-peoples-health-and-rights-and-not-intellectual-property-and

If you would like to join the initiative, please use this link to add
your individual or organisational support:
https://crm.apc.org/joint-civil-society-statement-peoples-health-and-rights

Best regards,

Valeria

--