[governance] Issues about ISOC and the public interest registries.

Mon Dec 2 11:04:03 EST 2019

Dear Colleagues,
An issue that I haven't seen addressed is the issue of history and the
reason why. Forgive me if it has been said already.
In the beginning ISOC was endowed with the public interest registries
a) to provide a steady income for ISOC to enable its work
And b) to ensure access for the public interest.
1.3 billion dollars sounds like a lot of money now, but 5 years from now?
And 1.3 billion is a finite amount - it will finish.
In a way ISOC is a trustee holding an income producing asset. A trustee
MIGHT consider selling such an asset to meet a very serious and urgent need
on the part of its ward, or to invest in an alternative project better
suited for revenue creation.
My questions for ISOC would be:
a) what is the urgent and serious need which forces the sale of this asset?
b) absent that, what is the alternative project which will guarantee the
continuance of ISOC's income?
Best wishes
Deirdre