[governance] PIR and ETHOS Convene Community Webinar on 12/19

Tue Dec 17 12:42:41 EST 2019

Brett,

I don't know what the outcome of this issue will be.  If the sale goes through, there will be a healing period, perhaps long and perhaps destructive for ISOC.  I do express my hope that whatever happens, ISOC's goals and activities will not be negatively impacted.  But I admit that I do not know.

I would rather that the sale not have proceeded, and certainly not in the way that it did.  But I am willing to live with a decision that I don't like (it wouldn't be the first time) if a greater good depended on it, and I will support the more important objective even though I don't like the decision.

The outstanding issue in my mind is focused on the extent to which the .org registrants feel that they have lost something really valuable in the transaction.  Now I know that .org is just another registry, albeit a very well run one, from a technical point of view.  What registrants and supporters have lost is the emotional benefit of being a part of a not-for-profit community and helping to support causes in that community in which they believe.  If thatsense can be preserved and even strengthened, I think that dissenters to the transaction will ultimately be satisfied.  But at present we have no knowledge of what Ethos' plans are, and there is unlikely to be any binding commitment until the situation is impossible to reverse.  It's a lousy state of affairs, and the sooner that Ethos is willing to say something, the better.

I am more inclined than most to trust what they say, but they are not saying much at all, and I can well understand the frustration of those who complain.

George

> On Dec 17, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Brett Solomon <brett at accessnow.org> wrote:
>
> George et al,
>
> I started this email a few days back and it was in my inbox but I wanted to send it even though this is an old thread.
>
> I agree ISOC is an important and valued organization. One that many of us partner with, have trusted over numerous years and have respected for its contribution. However you conclusions are very far from where I sit. In fact I contend the opposite:
>
> The future of ISOC depends not on selling PIR but on maintaining it - this sorry episode has so significantly damaged ISOC's reputation, that the worst thing it could do now is to proceed. It should reverse its decision, rebuild trust with the community and continue to implement its mission.
>
> You say - The eventual disposition of PIR should not be our primary concern, rather it should be ensuring that the goals of ISOC that we share with them should be furthered in the most effective manner possible. I think that the future of PIR should be our primary concern, and a side product of protecting it and .ORG, is to ensure the future of ISOC.
>
> A sale will result in the destabilization of .ORG and the 10 million registrants and risks destroying ISOC in the process.
>
> Brett
>
> Brett Solomon
> Executive Director
> Access Now | accessnow.org <https://accessnow.org/>
>
> @solomonbrett
> Key ID: 0x4EDC17EB
> Fingerprint: C02C A886 B0FC 3A25 FF9F ECE8 FCDF BA23 4EDC 17EB
>
> *Subscribe to the Access Now Express <https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up>, our weekly newsletter on digital rights
> *Protect digital rights around the world - support Access Now <https://act.accessnow.org/page/13742/donate/1> with a donation today
> Brett Solomon
> Executive Director
> Access Now | accessnow.org <https://accessnow.org/>
>
> @solomonbrett
> Key ID: 0x4EDC17EB
> Fingerprint: C02C A886 B0FC 3A25 FF9F ECE8 FCDF BA23 4EDC 17EB
>
> *Subscribe to the Access Now Express <https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up>, our weekly newsletter on digital rights
> *Protect digital rights around the world - support Access Now <https://act.accessnow.org/page/13742/donate/1> with a donation today
>

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 2:50 PM Ayden Férdeline <ayden at ferdeline.com <mailto:ayden at ferdeline.com>> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> I am afraid I don't share your optimism. But I appreciate the attempt at moving us forward to somewhere a little less combative.

> [...]

George Sadowsky                                    Residence tel: +1.301.968.4325
8300 Burdette Road, Apt B-472                          Mobile: +1.202.415.1933
Bethesda MD  20817-2831  USA                                    Skype: sadowsky
george.sadowsky at gmail.com                http://www.georgesadowsky.org/