[governance] POLL ON .ORG LETTER: You can participate now

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Dec 10 14:28:18 EST 2019

> On Dec 10, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>
> There should have been another option of "Halt the sell altogether".
>
> When you say "2) Call for a halt to the sale unless certain conditions are met", there are those who don't want any compromise. They want a complete halt.

Agreed.  I think there are several possibilities:

1) Some people would be okay with a sale to Ethos specifically, if Ethos were to make a compromise or promises of some sort.

2) Some people are ok with a sale to a private entity in principle, but not to Ethos because of the specific insider dealings that led to that deal.

3) Some people are ok with a transfer to a not-for-profit entity, provided it operated .ORG in its originally intended spirit.

4) Some people presumably want ISOC to continue in its current role of .ORG beneficiary.

I think (1) is a dangerous compromise.  I’m not wild about (2), though I recognize that Network Solutions, and then Verisign, did a good job of operating .ORG; I don’t deny that.  I’m very much in the (3) boat, and feel that the only moral way forward is self-governance for non-profits, without unjustified rent-extraction by for-profits.  If there are people in favor of (4), I haven’t heard anything from them.

                                -Bill