[governance] POLL ON .ORG LETTER: You can participate now

Tue Dec 10 14:49:20 EST 2019

Hi all,

Le 10/12/2019 à 20:28, Bill Woodcock a écrit :
>> On Dec 10, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>>
>> There should have been another option of "Halt the sell altogether".
>>
>> When you say "2) Call for a halt to the sale unless certain conditions are met", there are those who don't want any compromise. They want a complete halt.
> Agreed.  I think there are several possibilities:
>
> 1) Some people would be okay with a sale to Ethos specifically, if Ethos were to make a compromise or promises of some sort.
>
> 2) Some people are ok with a sale to a private entity in principle, but not to Ethos because of the specific insider dealings that led to that deal.
>
> 3) Some people are ok with a transfer to a not-for-profit entity, provided it operated .ORG in its originally intended spirit.
>
> 4) Some people presumably want ISOC to continue in its current role of .ORG beneficiary.

5) Some people would not be ok with the sale of the PIR

6) Some people would not be ok with the stewardship of the .ORG/PIR by
any non-profit Org

...in (5) i consider that the PIR was a grant (with a clear goal) to
InternetSociety.ORG,

by VeriSign ; under the regulatory recommendations of ICANN ; then
should not be sold...

The (6) is capturing the fact that Bill mentioned first here : "By and
For non-commercial"

Thanks.

Shalom,

--sb.