[governance] Internet Shutdown: An IGC Statement to the ISOC Cameroon Chapter?

Raul Echeberria echeberria at isoc.org
Thu Feb 2 13:50:37 EST 2017

Dear all:

I would like to reiterare Internet Society position about Internet shutdowns not only in Cameroon, but in any part of the world.

www.internetsociety.org/lets-keep-internet-everyone?utm_content=bufferc442c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer<http://www.internetsociety.org/lets-keep-internet-everyone?utm_content=bufferc442c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>

This position is very consistent with the open access principles we have promoted for the last 25 years.
We recognize that there could be different views on this point, even from people related to ISOC community and/or to the Internet Society Cameroon chapter. That continue being our position  on this matter.

I respectfully insist in the fact that even in the cases in which the government take decisions of limiting Internet access based on apparently justified reasons, the consequences of those restrictions are always the opposite of what they intend to achieve. There are no good justifications for cutting Interne access to the people.

We are in permanent dialogue with our Cameroon Chapter expecting to provide more clarity to the community on this issue,  and we continue expressing our willingness to work with all stakeholders, including of course the government of Cameroon, for addressing their concerns in a way that don’t compromise the ability of all the people to connect to the internet and to benefit from that access in terms of social, human and economic development.

Best regards,

Raúl Echeberría
Internet Society
VP Global Engagement