[governance] Update on CSCG Working Group

Chris Prince Udochukwu Njoku udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng
Mon Jul 11 12:12:50 EDT 2016

On 11 Jul 2016 12:48 am, "Ian Peter" <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> Hmm – I can’t see the need for a coordinator to stand down if they are
also a CSCG rep- I think doing both is OK and probably not too much of a
load.

CPU: Really? If so, we'll have them (or any of the two) take up the rep
tasks if they're INTERESTED.
Many thanks.

coordinators will move to the positions of CSCG reps and a new pair of
coordinators will be selected or they will call for EOI for selection of
reps in CSCG. In the case of the second, a coordinator who's interested in
being a rep in CSCG is free to express interest; and if s/he's selected, a
new coordinator will be selected. So I think.

> CPU

> Sent from Sony X11
>
> On 10 Jul 2016 10:20 pm, "Ian Peter" <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Arsene,
>>
>> Having the two coordinators as CSCG members would be the easiest way
forward – is there a particular reason you don’t favour that idea?

>> Otherwise – I don’t see a problem with the coordinators calling for
expressions of interest from IGC membership and then determining the best
representative (this could be either a nomcom or a decision of the
coordinators)

>> Ian

having only one rep in the CSCG and it used to be one of the co-cos, each
one serving one year and leaving the following year to the other co-co.
This means, after Analia, I am the one representing us on the CSCG until
the next one is elected. We can still discuss this way of doing if someone
is not happy :)

>> But my question is this: Now that these suggested changes withing the
CSCG suggest we have two reps from each coalition member, I would love to
hear your thoughs on how we, as IGC we will be dealing with nominating our
representatives. My take is that we should not have both co-cos there but
maybe have one co-co and have another member (to be chosen, process to be
agreed on).

>> I suggest we start thinking on this so that when the final work of the
WG will be presented and agreed upon by all coalition members, we know what
to do. I am part of that WG and will be happy to bring in these debates.

>> Please do share your comments. And I am happy Ian is here as well and
can contribute.
>> Hope everyone is doing well,
>> Arsène Tungali,
>> IGC Co-Coordinator,
>> Co-founder & Executive Director, Rudi International
>> Facebook - Twitter -LinkedIn
>> Internet Governance - Blogger - ISOC Ambassador - ICANN Fellow - Child
Online Protection Evangelist.
>> Democratic Republic of Congo
>>

>> Le Vendredi 1 juillet 2016 19h23, Remmy Nweke <remmyn at gmail.com> a écrit
:

>> Thanks Ian for the update.
>> There are some issues I should have revisited but since you said there
is room for refining and expansion I will leave them when the group resumes.
>> Nice to bring us up to speed.
>> Remmy
>> On Jul 1, 2016 6:27 AM, "Ian Peter" <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks, here is a summary of the progress so far of the CSCG Working
Group – my personal summary, happy for any comments from other WG members
or anyone else interested. Feel free to copy to other lists.

>>> GENERAL AGREEMENT SO FAR
>>> Maintain “coalition of coalitions” model
>>> Two year terms for coalition representatives, 2 reps per member, stand
down after max two terms (4 years) before being eligible for re-election
again
>>> Chair elected by members – can be from among members or an outsider
>>> Chair plus up to two co-chairs – co-chairs from member reps.
>>> Nomcoms are one rep per member coalition plus separate non voting chair
>>> Scope to remain solely to ensure a coordinated civil society response
and conduit when it comes to making civil society appointments to outside
bodies.
>>> Support to develop separate entity - but related body- to look at
funding issues for civil society representatives travel (eg CSCG members
might be trustees of new entity)
>>> ISSUES
>>> Some discussion has taken place on new coalition members, with a
general agreement that this might include regional coalitions.  However we
need to clarify what procedures might be adopted for inclusion of regional
coalitions and other potential new members.