[governance] Despite Renewal, the IGF is still on life support

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 07:31:22 EST 2016

Hi

Strengthening the IGF is nominally a topic outside the WGEC’s planned scope, but in the event that some people once again lock in on the long-running and highly contested demand for an intergovernmental policy space, there could be a connection made.  As I suggested in the WGIG+10 anniversary book released earlier this year, “the most desirable approach would be to create an intergovernmental working group under the umbrella of the IGF. After all, governments already routinely meet for high-level events alongside IGF meetings, and they could similarly add a day to each of the IGF’s Open Consultations to engage in dialogue on a work programme, preferably subject to rules of procedure that allow nongovernmental participants to observe and weigh in at designated times, etc. But as such a proposal seems unlikely to garner support from the governments in question, perhaps an ongoing working group under the aegis of the CSTD could be an alternative.”  While the objections are easy to anticipate, either approach would be better than the G77’s & China’s proposal to the WSIS+10 review for a stand-alone intergovernmental ‘forum,’ or than a status quo in which discussions get diverted into the ITU, Wuzhen, etc.  And the IGF umbrella presumably could have the positive externality of deepening government engagement in the rest of the IGF process.

That said, I suspect there’s little hope of such suggestions being seriously considered, and that things will continue to drift along as is…

In which context, the lack of other hosting offers for IGF 2017 seems a bit concerning.  But if energies can be mobilized, maybe the Geneva setting will allow some bridge building with the local diplomatic community, other intergovernmental organizations, etc.

Best

Bill

> On Dec 14, 2016, at 11:00, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:
>
> Isn´t this a challenge for the UNCSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation?  I encourage you to write a comment. Dateline is tomorrow, December 15!
>
> http://unctad.org/en/Pages/CSTD/WGEC-2016-to-2018.aspx
>
> Wolfgang

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer