[governance] [bestbits] US Support for Multistakeholder Governance is Conditional on US Remaining in Control

Sivasubramanian M isolatednet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:58:08 EDT 2015

The multistakeholder process does not lay emphasis on protocols so I wrote
as a participant of ICANN to the Assistant Secretary Larry Strickling, (to
reach whom it would have taken several impossible layers in the
multilateral process) and he responded almost immediately to clarify as
follows:

The Obama Administration supports the multistage holder process.  My
response at the NCUC was meant to indicate that our Congress has made clear
that ICANN must remain incorporated in the United States as a result of the
transition.  Hopefully, this clarifies the discussion this morning.  ---
Lawrence Strickling

In my message to him, I wrote as follows:

Dear Mr Strickling,
> As an ICANN participant, I am somewhat puzzled to observe an email
> exchange http://lists.bestbits.net/arc/bestbits/2015-10/msg00034.html this
> afernoon. This concerns a question raised by one of the participants on
> Jurisdiction, a question in two parts, the first part was to ask if US
> would support a jurisdictional change for ICANN and the second part was
> about US support for the multistakeholder process in case there was a
> jurisdictional change. From what I understand, the answer was No,  which
> was taken as a negative response to the question on US support for the
> multistakeholder process, which has given room for a misunderstanding that
> the United States Government would support the multistakeholder process
> only if ICANN remains within US.
> This could not possibly have been your response, I think that your
> response was possible for the first question, and not to the one that
> followed.   Before stating this in the list, and sharing this opinion with
> other participants, I wish to clarify this from you.
> I believe that US commitment for the multistakeholder process is
> fundamental and unconditional.

What matters is that he did not deny that US commitment for the
multistakeholder process is fundamental and unconditional. Perhaps he did
not answer that part of the question. So there is more excitement on his
response earlier this morning than due.

Sivasubramanian M
Internet Society India Chennai