[governance] [bestbits] US Support for Multistakeholder Governance is Conditional on US Remaining in Control

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 08:39:29 EDT 2015

Its shocking to hear that we have been misled all along that jurisdiction
is a part of Work Stream 2 of CCWG! Why couldn't NTIA be upfront while
announcing the transition and list this condition as the 5th
principle/criteria? They have extracted endless number of man hours from us
under false promises of a bottom-up process whereas most of the major
issues are being dictated top-down by the NTIA!

During the deliberations of the CWG and CCWG, there are two constant
arguments used by status quoists that have dangled as sharp swords over the
participants:
1) We suspect that the NTIA will not accept this change causing the
transition to fail.
2) We suspect that the Board will not accept this change causing the
transition to fail.

Ultimately, participants are so fearful of crossing these imaginary
boundaries of what NTIA may accept, that we have started faithfully
reproducing what NTIA desires. We are so fearful of a failed transition
that we err on the side of status quo.

However, what hits me the most that the United States is selectively
following multistakeholder processes where its convenient for them. The
recent RZM proposal developed secretly by NTIA, Verisign and ICANN
demonstrate that multistakeholder processes are endorsed by the United
States only when its convenient to their interests.

I only wish the WSIS document, while endorsing multistakeholder processes,
was substantive enough to recognise US dominant control (by corporate
capture, by judicial control, by executive control and by legislative
control) over multistakeholder processes and organisations as an issue that
needs resolution over time. I dont understand the point behind living in
denial. Who are we even fooling?