[governance] #gamergate trolling attack going on nowagainst a feminist tech movement

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 21:33:42 EDT 2015

Following Ian yesterday - here's the link to the APC statement about the
situation:
https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/facts-takebackthetech

=========================
Facts on #TakeBacktheTech
=========================

12 October 2015: Since Friday, 9 October 2015, a mounting online
attack has been launched against the Twitter hashtag #TakeBacktheTech
and associated initiatives.

Take Back the Tech! was launched in 2006 by a group of young women in
Southeast Asia in response to an increasing recognition that emerging
ICT developments like mobile phones and geolocation software were used
to extend the violence that women faced in physical spaces through SMS
harassment and cyber stalking by abusive partners. See here for full
research on case studies in seven countries.

Echoing the Take Back the Night campaigns by women’s movements in
different parts of the world, the campaign saw the importance of
reclaiming the transformative potential of digital spaces for the
exercise of women’s human rights, including the right to freedom of
expression, public participation and safety. The campaign was
initiated by the Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
Women’s Rights Programme, and has been taken up, adapted and owned by
individuals, organisations and collectives in places such as
Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada,
Colombia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Germany, India, Kenya,
Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, Rwanda, South
Africa, Uganda, the United Kingdom, the United States and Uruguay. The
campaign is linked to the longstanding 16 Days of Activism Against
Gender-based Violence global campaign.

Take Back the Tech and APC have never supported censorship; to the
contrary, we have explicitly explored means of addressing online hate
speech in general, and misogynist content in particular, without
resorting to censorship. Claims to this effect in the recent efforts
to hijack the #takebackthetech hashtag are simply not accurate. APC’s
Internet Rights Charter, a document which interprets how fundamental
human rights apply on the internet, was released in 2001.

Claims that APC supports doxing (defined in Wikipedia as searching for
and publishing private or identifying information about a particular
individual on the internet, typically with malicious intent) are also
not accurate. This claim was made in response to a reference in an
educational comic available on the Take Back the Tech! site to the
case of Mary Beard who was offered, via a public tweet, contact
details of the mother of a tweeter who had been attacking her online.
She did not seek it out nor did she use it. Instead she communicated
directly with the person who had been posting the abusive tweets and
in a rare instance, was able to resolve the situation
(http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/27/mary-beard-befriends-twitt
er-trolls-online-abuse)

APC collaborates closely with the United Nations. APC and Take Back
the Tech did not author the ITU Broadband Commission report “Cyber
Violence against Women and Girls: A world-wide wake-up call”. We agree
with most of the content of this report, but there are areas of
analysis and recommendations in the report that we do not support in
full. To learn more about what APC’s position is with regard to online
free expression and responding to harmful content refer to:
http://www.genderit.org/feminist-talk/pulling-back-veil-free-speech.

APC and Take Back the Tech are stakeholders of the Internet Governance
Forum (IGF) Best Practice Forum to share learning and experiences on
how to respond to online abuse and violence against women. The IGF is
a multistakeholder platform that facilitates policy dialogue on key
and emerging issues related to internet policy and governance. As with
all other IGF processes, the work of this Best Practice Forum has been
inclusive and transparent. It is unfortunate that this transparency
has been used to misrepresent the goals of this process
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK7nnL11dIE)
If anyone wants to access accurate information about the IGF and this
Best Practice Forum, refer to:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/best-practice-forums/4-practices-to-count
ering-abuse-against-women-online#about
Similarly, if anyone wants to make constructive contributions to the
Best Practice Forum’s work, please comment on Draft II, currently
published for public input:
http://review.intgovforum.org/igf-2015/best-practice-forums/draft-ii-bpf
- -on-practices-to-counter-online-violence-against-women-and-girls/

The attack against APC and Take Back the Tech and efforts to hijack
the #takebackthetech hashtag, which has involved people who
self-associate with #Gamergate posting threats targeting members of
our community and images that depict women being subjected to physical
and sexual violence, illustrate how women’s and girls’ voices are
silenced on social networking platforms by violent and sexist expression
.

The scale of this attack thus far has involved more than 20,000 tweets
and memes containing anti-feminist, racist, violent and abusive
content, which has also been targeted at those who expressed support
for #TakeBacktheTech. Emails that included threatening content have
also been sent to individuals associated with organising the the
initial Twitter conversation that launched the attack. It bears
repeating that the attacks are coordinated, planned and organised, and
this demonstrates the importance of continuing, collaborative efforts
to address this issue.

Thanks to those who have expressed their support.

To find out more about online violence against women:
http://www.genderit.org/sites/default/upload/end_violence_malhotra_dig.p
df

For more information contact:

Jac Sm Kee
Women’s Rights Programme Manager, Association for Progressive
Communications
Email: jac at apcwomen.org

Deirdre

On 11 October 2015 at 05:28, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> I am posting this separately to a few lists, so apologies if you are
> already aware of this.
>
> For those who have not caught up on this weekend's vicious attack on APC
> and Take Back the Tech.
>
> I'd particularly encourage you to read the reddit link, and see how a
> distorted campaign has been mounted in the name of freedom of speech on
> such a low factual base. What's more, a set of people who were planning to
> discuss this subject - and who are already victims of cyber-bullying - have
> been aggressively cyber-bullied and exposed to some very poor taste
> material.
>
> On Twitter, the hashtag mostly under attack is #takebackthetech - a long
> standing APC campaign. This hashtag and #imagineafeministinternet hVE
> virtually been taken over by #gamergate followers.
>
> I don't know how we can counter such attacks; nor do i know how you get a
> factual basis to these discussions when those mounting the attack want a
> distorted situation.
>
> This is quite a worrying development that now has spread from APC to an
> attack where IGF and UN are being accused of opposing freedom of speech.
>
> I would love to know a good way to address this. But in the meantime, I
> think people should be aware of this.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Ian Peter
> Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2015 6:57 PM
> To: Michael Gurstein ; 'Internet governance related discussions' ;
> ciresearchers at vcn.bc.ca
> Subject: Re: [JNC - Forum] : [Air-L] #gamergate trolling attack going on
> nowagainst a feminist tech movement
>
> So this attack is still ongoing, and being done in the name of "freedom
> from
> censorship". And the devil has become the IGF and the UN!
>
> It's astonishing how well organised it is on a distorted information
> base -see the link below.
>

> https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3oa04u/goal_op_take_back_the_truth_phase_ii_the_apc_has/
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Jac sm Kee
> Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:41 PM
> To: Michael Gurstein ; 'Internet governance related discussions' ;
> ciresearchers at vcn.bc.ca
> Subject: Re: [JNC - Forum] : [Air-L] #gamergate trolling attack going on
> now
> against a feminist tech movement

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the support. I think there are a couple of things that can
> be done:
>
> a) Reposting the statement in your sites to demonstrate support to the
> work, and condemning the attacks
> b) Also post something that explains the open, transparent,
> multistakeholder and participatory nature of IGF, and related work
> including intersessionals. The trolls seem to be really confused about
> what IGF is about, and see this as an "evil UN scheme" to control the
> internet. Which is quite funny. They celebrate it as a victory to be
> able to join a BPF meeting and access archives of documented
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979