[governance] #gamergate trolling attack going on nowagainst a feminist tech movement

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Oct 11 05:28:36 EDT 2015

I am posting this separately to a few lists, so apologies if you are already
aware of this.

For those who have not caught up on this weekend's vicious attack on APC and
Take Back the Tech.

I'd particularly encourage you to read the reddit link, and see how a
distorted campaign has been mounted in the name of freedom of speech on such
a low factual base. What's more, a set of people who were planning to
discuss this subject - and who are already victims of cyber-bullying - have
been aggressively cyber-bullied and exposed to some very poor taste
material.

On Twitter, the hashtag mostly under attack is #takebackthetech - a long
standing APC campaign. This hashtag and #imagineafeministinternet hVE
virtually been taken over by #gamergate followers.

I don't know how we can counter such attacks; nor do i know how you get a
factual basis to these discussions when those mounting the attack want a
distorted situation.

This is quite a worrying development that now has spread from APC to an
attack where IGF and UN are being accused of opposing freedom of speech.

I would love to know a good way to address this. But in the meantime, I
think people should be aware of this.