[governance] ICANN/FIFA

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Fri May 29 05:44:33 EDT 2015

> On 29 May 2015, at 3:55 pm, Jean-Christophe Nothias <jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com> wrote:
> - David (Cake)
> > Corruption has little to do with a system based on national representation. Study, source? I mean more than within the private sector, or any other space.

	I was simply pointing out that FIFA is based on a system of direct voting based on national representatives. In this it somewhat loosely resembles, say, some ITU processes, more so than multi-stakeholder processes. I’m simply saying that neither recorded direct voting or a system based only on gatekeepered national representatives have prevented significant corruption in this case.
	Some prominent JNC members have been quite explicit in saying that they prefer the UN or ITU model, in which ultimate decision making, and in particular selection of senior officials, goes to a direct ballot in which each nation has a single vote. Notably FIFA uses a similar model. And is allegedly, despite a massive corruption scandal, about to re-select the same leadership. In particular, an administration very unpopular with large nations in Western Europe (though popular with some other large nations, like Russia) is likely to be re-elected by votes from a large number of small nations. I’m not implying that the voting model always leads to flawed results (of course there are many other factors), but FIFA certainly represents an obvious counter-example to claims it prevents corruption, and has some parallels to criticisms often made of UN processes.

	In short, if there is, as Michael contends, some lesson to be learnt from FIFA in regards to the IANA transition and ICANN it is this - be wary of a 1 vote per nation, UN style, model, as if anything it increases accountability and transparency issues. Those of us within ICANN have already seen this time and again in the ICANN GAC.

> > Thanks for acknowledging that "accountability and TRANSPARENCY are important factors". Maybe Jeremy should talk to you about this, as he has difficulties to talk to JNC about such critical issue.

	Within ICANN, transparency per se is an issue, but the biggest transparency issue is accountability not transparency - transparency standards are generally quite high, but the accountability mechanisms are lacking to enforce them when they are really needed. In most ICANN policy processes, every meeting is open to anyone to listen, is recorded, recordings and transcripts are made available, every full participant has lodged an SOI, and so one. But yet when you might to find out which senior staff member made a particular dubious decision, suddenly the staff will have difficulty finding those documents or similar.
	I don’t think this invalidates Jeremy’s critique of Parminders plan. NGOs are participants, not management. I agree the suggested mechanism through CSCG is inappropriate. I think there are other, more appropriate, mechanisms for NGO transparency. And like many others, I suspect that the results of the process will be an excuse for the JNC to continue to focus on matters internal to CS, lambasting those of us who dare to be funded by those Parminder dislikes (the US government and corporations), if anything actively interfering with the ability of CS to actively engage in the IG space. Not that I think transparency is bad - my own org publishes its accounts, as do many others - but it seems a poorly thought out proposal that puts the focus on the wrong place (on the ‘purity’ of CS participants, rather than accountability and transparency within IG decision making processes themselves).

> > JNC focusing on games at "democracy"? JNC has called for more transparency among participants to the current IG space: would that be playing game or would it be "focusing on the practical push for accountability..." Not sure who is getting confused here.

	I was assuming we all had the level of perspective to consider discussions had within, say, the last couple of months. Or even, when discussing the IANA transition process, to understand that I was referring to actions made over the entire IANA transition process, not comments made on the IGC list on a different topic in the last few days. Apparently not. So let me clarify - when I was talking about accountability, I was referring specifically to accountability of ICANN/IANA, that being the topic Michael brought up, not the accountability of civil society organisations, that being an entirely different subject brought up by Parminder.
	FWIW, I find it sadly quite typical of the dynamics of this list that we have had so very little discussion of the accountability aspects of IANA and ICANN here (major, significant efforts

> > JNC has been fighting over the introduction of a democratic pulse within IG.

	Wel, they’ve certainly been fighting over the inclusion of the word ‘democracy’ in some statements. Whether or not that amounts to the same thing as ‘introduction of a democratic pulse’ is probably something on which there is significant disagreement.

> I see JNC has deserving recognition for that. Is fighting for democratic principles within a social community of public interest (IG) a "game", or isn't more simply part of the political debate (democracy) and the need for a different Internet governance (out of US domination by its public and private leadership)

	Or perhaps JNC is fighting to have democratic principles interpreted in the means of its choosing. I certainly feel that I am fighting for democratic principles (or at least, transparency, accountability, inclusion, openness, and human rights), but most JNC members seem to feel that I am misguided and should perhaps be fighting for things such as a stronger representation of government (in the hopes that that naturally equates to democracy), or processes that are less inclusive of actors they dislike (such as those representing commercial interests).

> Everyone can take the lessons he wants to take.

	Indeed.

	David