[governance] On WSIS+10 (was Re: Why?)

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sat May 23 06:34:34 EDT 2015

On May 23, 2015 7:53 AM, "parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Friday 22 May 2015 08:01 PM, jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr wrote:
>>
>> Dear Michael and all
>>

>> The "original sin" of WSIS was the decision of UNGA (or UN-ECOSOC?) to
entrust the ITU the management/oordination of a "society centered" high
level and global event. ITU hasn't got any capacity in societal issues and
this was fairly known by all (except the UN HQ ? :-)

> Of course it was known to everyone. It was the US that insisted it be the
ITU and not UNESCO, which due to its social expertise in info issues was a
natural contender. You can read about this bit of history in Sean O
Siochru's 'Will the real WSIS please stand up?'
http://gaz.sagepub.com/content/66/3-4/203.abstract  .

> Why, because US was still cut up with UNESCO over NWICO issues and did
not want WSIS to begin stirring up those fires again - basically, not bring
up issues like communication rights and stuff....

Ha! I only vaguely suspected that the whole setup had something to do with
the after-NWICO universe, that the drama that subsequently played out
(around communication rights and then Internet governance) wasn't just an
afterthought, an unforeseen collateral effect. Well, good to know now.

Mawaki