[governance] On WSIS+10 (was Re: Why?)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat May 23 03:52:24 EDT 2015

On Friday 22 May 2015 08:01 PM, jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr wrote:

> Dear Michael and all
>

> The "original sin" of WSIS was the decision of UNGA (or UN-ECOSOC?) to
> entrust the ITU the management/oordination of a "society centered"
> high level and global event. ITU hasn't got any capacity in societal
> issues and this was fairly known by all (except the UN HQ ? :-)

Of course it was known to everyone. It was the US that insisted it be
the ITU and not UNESCO, which due to its social expertise in info issues
was a natural contender. You can read about this bit of history in Sean
O Siochru's 'Will the real WSIS please stand up?'
http://gaz.sagepub.com/content/66/3-4/203.abstract  .

Why, because US was still cut up with UNESCO over NWICO issues and did
not want WSIS to begin stirring up those fires again - basically, not
bring up issues like communication rights and stuff....

It is a pity how US unleashes such dictatorial decisions on the world
community whose consequneces the world have to suffer for decades
afterwards (Iraq invasion and ISIS for instance). Maybe, that is how
anyone who is powerful will work... The bigger problem however is how US
has been able to ingratiate itself so successfully with the civil
society in the IG area, that the same US that foisted ITU in a
leadership position for information society issues can at will term it
into the villain, in the WCIT Dubai plus way.... And the obedient global
media and global civil society marches in tune to the music of the Pied
Piper..

That reminds me to forward an article on New World Information and
Communication Order and WSIS that I received today.... Fortunately,
counter hegemonic views and the resistance are still not dead and swept
away....

http://www.ipsnews.net/2015/05/opinion-new-world-information-order-internet-and-the-global-south-part-i/

New World Information Order, Internet and the Global South

By Branislav Gosovic

 Branislav Gosovic worked at the U.N. Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the U.N. Environment Programme (UNEP), the South Commission and was Officer-in-Charge at the South Centre in Geneva (1990-2005).

parminder