[governance] Managing the Internet in the Public Interest

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Feb 27 11:07:34 EST 2015

On Friday 27 February 2015 06:10 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> Dear Parminder
>
> Just a quick response (still too long, sorry) due to lack of time.
Anriette

I do not wish to unduly tax your indulgence and patience, and so in this
email I will raise just one issue, which, in my view, is also the
central one here. You say, and so have many others, that there is no
generalised equal footing MS model, and the respective roles of
different stakeholders will depend "on the decision that is being made".
I have often insisted that I am only talking about one particular kind
of decision - */*'decisions' regarding public policies*/*, and I keep
asking what is the respective roles of governments and business in
deciding public policies. And I ask again.

I am not bothered here about any other kind of decision, nor about a
great variety of very important pre decision processes (although they
can also be rigged, especially any kind of veto over agenda setting as
provided in the submission made by many groups to the Net Mundial
process, to which I think APC too signed.) There is no doubt that all
stakeholders in these pre decision processes for public policies have
various kinds of roles.

If we are now to get into wondering what is public policy, and who
defines what it is, we are getting into well established concepts of
political science (which unlike governments may still not be so
sullied). However, I am ready to discuss it - if that is what needs to
be discussed.

In order to not leave it vague, let us consider two specific, although,
hypothetical instances. There is a UN adopted model law on e-commerce,
which forms the basis of many an early statutes on IT in many countries
(including India). Now, lets say, just hypothetically, that it is found
useful to have a global model law on maintaining net neutrality. If
there can be a global model law on ecom, no fundamental reason why there
cannot be one on NN - at least theoretically. My question then is, what
do you think should be the role of governments and private sector
respectively in 'finally' deciding on such a model law?

Or, we can talk about normative documents. Say, for instance, it was
found useful to write a global normative document on the 'role on data
in the society', which would enable countries to begin understanding
this new terrain in normative terms and can help the necessary
legislative and regulatory work. (There are innumerable such important
documents, like on health, education, etc written regularly at UN
bodies.) In order to make it more concrete, let us say, UNESCO was asked
to do it. Who do think should make and decide on the final document -
governments, or governments and corporates on an equal footing?

This simply is /*the/ question*.

If we can agree on this one issue (and possibly codify the agreement and
begin to advocate it together), I think we would have agreed on almost
everything.

Thanks, and sorry for writing again, but for me, and many of us, this
above is the only 'real area of difference' in many of the discussions
that take place here, and it will be good to get specific, and if
possible to hammer this difference out. That will be a great gain for
all of us.

parminder