[governance] Towards an Internet Social Forum

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Wed Feb 4 13:01:23 EST 2015

On 4/02/2015 4:51 am, parminder wrote:
> I see both you and Avri say that some things need inter gov and some
> MS systems, to which I agree. But that brings us to the main point
> that I have been trying to stress; it of course cannot be left to the
> (situational) fancy of people, groups and institutions which issues
> and when should be addressed by one form of governance structure and
> which/when the other.

The NETmundial Principles lead to exactly this conclusion when saying
"The respective roles and responsibilities of stakeholders should be
interpreted in a flexible manner with reference to the issue under
discussion."

You're right that this opens up a separate can of worms as to how the
roles should be divided—eg. is this a decision-taking role for
governments or not.  I tackled this directly in my submission to NETmundial:

> A less simplistic approach requires a case-by-case analysis: whenever
> the coordinating function as described in the Best Bits submission is
> exercised, it should consider not only /whether/ and /where/ policy is
> being developed, but also what the appropriate roles of stakeholders
> are /for that issue/. Factors relevant to that determination include
> agreed high-level global Internet governance principles (if any),
> roles and responsibilities historically exercised in respect of that
> issue, and the governance mechanisms that are likely to be effective
> in dealing with the issue.
>
> To give some possible examples, it may be found that governments are
> entitled to take a leading role in developing global rules on money
> laundering via the Internet, but that they should take a back seat in
> the development of spam filtering standards, and should participate as
> equals with other stakeholders in the development of policy for
> transnational intellectual property enforcement policies.
>
> By engaging in this analysis (which would itself be conducted by a
> multi-stakeholder deliberative body), a more reasoned determination
> can be made of the appropriate roles of governments and other
> stakeholders in a given issue area, than can be had by resorting to
> fixed descriptions of stakeholder roles, or an arbitrary demarcation
> between “public policy” and “technical and operational” issues. The
> result will be that the appropriate role of governments in determining
> any given policy issue can be defined with more particularity than
> simply making a blanket claim of sovereignty.

It's on the NETmundial site but here is a better formatted version (the
content is identical):

http://igfwatch.org/discussion-board/netmundial-2014-submission-on-evolution-of-the-internet-governance-ecosystem

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en