[governance] Towards an Internet Social Forum

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Feb 4 14:05:18 EST 2015

On February 4, 2015 at 18:21 parminder at itforchange.net (parminder) wrote:

 > We need a rules based system, the rules themselves being based on higher
 > principles, which of course would be of democracy, to determine what
 > kind of global IG architecture is best suited for promoting global
 > public interest. However, not much gets spoken about such principles and
 > rules which could help us determine different kinds of systems for
 > different kind of IG issues - technical to social-political being a key
 > spectrum. Most arguments take a stock MS or inter gov view and simply go
 > past one another. It is good to explore a more sophisticated larger
 > principles based view.

I'm not sure why parminder is often responded to like he's a maverick,
perhaps I'm missing some context.

But these are my feelings exactly. A MS or other system has to bind
itself to an express architecture and written corpus of rules and
structure.

To me that seems self-evident.

Or put another way without that we don't really have governance, we
have something more like a star chamber, something in danger of
degenerating into an oligarchy, fascism in the formal sense if I might
risk the loaded term -- I mean an oligarchy of powerful interests
pushing out any effectiveness of the less powerful even if they might
have some role in principle.

I don't even see discussion of transparency principles other than,
sure, who disagrees with transparency, great word. But writing such
things down, specifying standards and processes, and agreeing to them
is much more difficult than high-minded polemics.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada