[governance] WSIS+10 speakers

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Dec 16 04:04:36 EST 2015

We have just been informed that OPGA has made two changes to the civil society speakers nominated for WSIS+10. Tatiana Kapinga, who was unable to secure a US visa, and Anriette Esterhuysen, who was unable to stay to address the meeting, were replaced by Deborah Brown of APC and Matthew Shears of Center for Democracy and Technology.

While not wishing to be critical of either of the people chosen, members of the Civil Society Selection Committee believe that, despite the short timeframe,  it should have been consulted about these  changes. In particular, we are concerned that the changes made by OGPA resulted in four of our five speakers being from WEOG areas. This lack of geographic balance is unfortunate, and could have been avoided.

We will convey our disappointment to OPGA at a later stage, but wanted civil society networks to be aware of this issue.

Ian Peter