[governance] The NTIA announcement (re: IANA, DNS root)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Aug 29 20:00:09 EDT 2015

Dear Willi,
let be clear about all this.

Phase 1.
There is the hardware, the computer software and the bandwidth from the Telcos.
Then there is the idea to interconnect computers in using the bandwdith.

Phase 2.
Then there is the idea to build a network, i.e.
use compters to transport data between computers.
Then there is the idea of Louis to concatenate
the different local networks into a single catenet.

Phase 3.
There were three ideas that separately matured and you can easily understand :

- the edge to edge pseudowire concept:
you as a user feel you have a dedicated wire. RFC
3916: "From the customer perspective, the PW is
perceived as an unshared link or circuit"
It was the basis for OSI reasoning coupled with X.25/75.

- the end to end concept:
this is the one you know with the common
internet. The architectural references are RFC 1958 and RFC 3439.
TCP/IP was used by the Internet

- the smart fringe to smart fringe concept:
this was the Tymnet technology's one. Being smart
it was able to emulate the other two. In addition
its internal protcol was secure.
Tymnet built the international network.

Phase 4
The key problem was RFC 923, i.e. the common
interational addressing. Politically TCP/IP
prevailed by USG decision and money: everything
had to be NSA-compatible. At that time it was not
for spying but for not to be hacked. They
purchased and eventually closed Tymnet. This
delayed the web, but it eventually came in the limited way you know it.

Phase 5
Technology is now grown enough to come back to
fringe to fringe and experiment its power. This
ths target of the XLIBRE community
(http://xlibre.net). It may take time. Nevermind,
we already lost 40 years (but we have billions of
users). Our interest is only in fixing a single
BUG (for the American industry to make us believe
they can be "Be Unilaterally Global")

The "network fragmentation" story is an NTIA
fairy tale. The same as if you were telling that
the world's roads are fragmented by national
borders, so you need the world to be globally
American for the lorries to be able to drive from
Paris to Beijing. And all the cars to be registered by ICARR.

Best
jfc