[governance] The NTIA announcement (re: IANA, DNS root)

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr at riseup.net
Sat Aug 29 22:35:52 EDT 2015

Dear Jefsey,

many thanks for your answer. Always i am very happy to read your
discussion parts.

Network:

We have to seperate this term. We know from our discussion, that we, you
and i, have a different view and thinking.

In Phase 1 you speak from interconnected computers. It have not
necessary to be a net. This, because a star or bus connection topology
is not a net for me. A net is a recursive structure of nodes, that are
connected to his naighbors. Like fisher net, hammock, woven fibrous
materials.

But independent, the interconnection of our devices is the base of our
"net".

In phase 2 i think you speak about our network intentions. But your
formulation is not clear in this point. Because we use connected
computers to transport our data. And with that step we create the
networking.

The Phase 3 is not clear for me. Maybe, because we have a very different
experience on our way to go inside in this space. I come from the
hardware development. And all this specific details in the history with
the analog systems i was never interested. But i know, Louis Pouzin have
to work in this environment.

It is the first time, that i read Tymnet. You see, i am not an expert.

Phase 4 and 5: very great your description.

Yes, we need time. Good things always need time. Only the bad things
goes very fast.

In an old text from Richard Hill i have read:

Defining the Internet, Richard Hill, April 2013
http://www.apig.ch/news.htm

"In a submission to the World Telecommunication Policy Forum, a group of
Internet experts has proposed the following points as a starting point
for principles that enable the Internet and its advantages to be
recognized and distinguished from other terms that may designate
technical concepts that are broader or more specialized in nature than
the Internet platform:

1. that it is defined in terms of principles of interoperation between
networks,
2. that the resulting platform is a general purpose platform,
3. that it is available as a general purpose platform to end users, and
4. that it enables general purpose connectivity directly between end
users throughout the globe (or beyond), to all other networks that
interoperate on the same terms."

Clear, we have to make clear, what is a network for us. But i love this
strong definition. What you think about? Maybe, you know, who are the
writers. Richard do not answer to my mail. Maybe, he was involved in my
kickout from JNC and do not like any direct connection. Yes, we are
tolerant.

And to the fragmentation? I see it like you.

And i have another question to you. Brian Carpenter wrote a Public
Comment to the ICG proposal:

6) Do you believe the proposal maintains the security, stability, and
resiliency of the DNS?

"I've been concerned since 1998 that unchecked expansion of the number
of gTLDs will eventually take us into uncharted territory from a
technical resilience point of view. I see no technical and operational
feedback mechanism to protect us against this operational risk in the
proposal. I would like to see a multistakeholder DNS Operations
Committee with a clear role in identifying DNS-wide technical issues and
pressing for their resolution. This is pretty much orthogonal to the
contractual and clerical issues covered in the current proposal."

I was somewhat surprised. But perhaps I interpret this to positive as an
activist for the ccTLDs and the dexentralized self-organizing?

many greetings, willi
Salvador, Brasil

Am 29/08/2015 um 21:00 schrieb JFC Morfin:
> Dear Willi,
> let be clear about all this.
>
> Phase 1.
> There is the hardware, the computer software and the bandwidth from the
> Telcos.
> Then there is the idea to interconnect computers in using the bandwdith.
>
> Phase 2.
> Then there is the idea to build a network, i.e. use compters to
> transport data between computers.
> Then there is the idea of Louis to concatenate the different local
> networks into a single catenet.
>
> Phase 3.
> There were three ideas that separately matured and you can easily
> understand :
>
> - the edge to edge pseudowire concept:
> you as a user feel you have a dedicated wire. RFC 3916: "From the
> customer perspective, the PW is perceived as an unshared link or circuit"
> It was the basis for OSI reasoning coupled with X.25/75.
>
> - the end to end concept:
> this is the one you know with the common internet. The architectural
> references are RFC 1958 and RFC 3439.
> TCP/IP was used by the Internet
>
> - the smart fringe to smart fringe concept:
> this was the Tymnet technology's one. Being smart it was able to emulate
> the other two. In addition its internal protcol was secure.
> Tymnet built the international network.
>
> Phase 4
> The key problem was RFC 923, i.e. the common interational addressing.
> Politically TCP/IP prevailed by USG decision and money: everything had
> to be NSA-compatible. At that time it was not for spying but for not to
> be hacked. They purchased and eventually closed Tymnet. This delayed the
> web, but it eventually came in the limited way you know it.
>
> Phase 5
> Technology is now grown enough to come back to fringe to fringe and
> experiment its power. This ths target of the XLIBRE community
> (http://xlibre.net). It may take time. Nevermind, we already lost 40
> years (but we have billions of users). Our interest is only in fixing a
> single BUG (for the American industry to make us believe they can be "Be
> Unilaterally Global")
>
> The "network fragmentation" story is an NTIA fairy tale. The same as if
> you were telling that the world's roads are fragmented by national
> borders, so you need the world to be globally American for the lorries
> to be able to drive from Paris to Beijing. And all the cars to be
> registered by ICARR.
>
> Best
> jfc

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.