[governance] Internet - whether to regulate it or not

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Sep 28 02:34:22 EDT 2014

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/fast-lane-slow-lane--no-l_b_5865996.html

This article tell you what non regulation of the Internet is about, and
it still does not even talk about the free run that global Internet
monopolies seeks.

No, it is not about "Internet freedom" - that is a clever cover up, but
many of us are all just too eager to believe.

(Freedom of expression is important but of course US gov and US
corporations have no real interest in it.)

In 1997, the United Nations adopted the Model Law on Electronic Commerce
that had been developed by the UN Commission on International Trade Law.
In fact the India's IT Act 2000, which is still the omnibus law in India
governing electronic transactions, makes reference to this Model Law in
its preamble.

Now, why, when the UN can adopt a Model law of e-commerce, can we not
discuss and possibly adopt a Model Law on IP based telecommunication
and net neutrality. Can anyone answer this simple and obvious question
for me? Please, I am serious.

But no, that will be blasphemy. Those are all attempts by governments to
take over the Internet, watch out! Why? Because US tell us so. And so
many of us are happy to take our cues from the US, and its political and
corporate allies. (Has it anything to do with from where the money flows?).

We badly need a global discussions on and adoption of a model law on IP
based telecommunications, and on net neutrality.

But any such possibility will be resisted tooth and nail, and a lot of
resources thrown into it. The musical for the next meeting in Busan in
Korea has already started. (
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/09/the-state-departments-plan-to-spark-a-global-sopa-style-uprising-around-internet-governance/
). Wait and see how the "multistakeholder community" that mystical
organism, dances to one tune, that which emanates from the US. I feel
pity for all the risks that Snowden took and the sacrifices he made.

  parminder