[governance] IANA Transition - Lack of Openess

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:17:22 EDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>>The ICG, in the RFP, has mandated that "proposals" are to come only from
>> the three operational communities.
>
> Not true. The processes are _convened_ by the operational communities, and
> need to be centered there because of their direct use of the IANA functions,
> but the processes are _required_ to be open.
>
>>The ICG has also proposed that any "comments" sent to the ICG by
>> individuals (not belonging to any of the three >communities) will be
>> forwarded to the operational communities for consideration.
>
> That is true. That is because people should not be misled into thinking that
> it is the ICG that will be designing and developing the proposals. People
> who want to make comment should participant in the operational
> community process. Sending us comments is a sure way to make sure
> that the people who really need to hear your comments will not get them
> directly.
>
> However, after we have received finished proposals from all 3 OC’s and
> have assembled a proposal for the NTIA, there will be a public comments
> period on the entire proposal
>
>>The rationale for excluding individuals from sending proposals is that the
>> processes initiated by the three >operational communities will be inclusive
>> and open to participation by all.
>
> Not quite correct. The main rationale for not sending proposals to the ICG
> (either from individuals or anyone else) is that WE AREN’T MAKING A
> DECISION AS TO WHAT IS A GOOD PROPOSAL. That is to be decided
> in a bottom up fashion in a process convened by 3 distinct Operational
> communities.

Whatever else we might say at present, this setup will enable
questions regarding the role of the ITU in the broader context to be
placed within the frame of a dispute between ccTLDs that disagree with
aspects of ICANN's role, and an advocate community activated on
governance issues within the operational communities of ICANN.

Seth