[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 18 09:32:04 EDT 2014

On Thursday 18 September 2014 06:50 PM, McTim wrote:
> Time for some reality based thinking here.
>
> ICANN has a lot of money, sure, however, they are spending it on IG
> conferences (NetMundial, IGF, and others that you folks are happy to
> participate in) at a prodigious rate.

Every meeting they attend, they more than extract their pound of
flesh... Net Mundial being a good example. They even got civil society
leads appointed for civil society apart .

> MOST of the money they have on hand is budgeted fro legal fees in
> case/when they get sued, so it is  a 'war-chest" they can't touch.

Let them come out of the US, they would need a fraction of that kind of
expenditure.

> They have spent so much so fast that they are actually cutting the
> budget for 2015, as new gTLD revenues are significantly lower than
> what was anticipated.
>
> The latest in this saga is that the Gala, a staple of ICANN meetings
> has been cut from the Agenda.
>
> So not wallowing in cash, actually fairly strapped for it. These
> auctions reveneues don't go into the regular budget IIRC, but are put
> aside in the new gTLD kitty, in other words, they aren't really free
> to spend it as and when they wish.

Interesting! Then whose wishes they are able to spend it for? BTW, I
really will like to know who gave the ICANN mandate to get into Net
Mundial and WEF kind of things, which is basically trying to forge a new
global IG order far beyond the domain name space? But ICANN is hardly
answerable to me.

> So it's not all fancy lunches/dinners/biz class travel for ICANN
> staff.  In fact, on the way home from Durban I saw several ICANN VPs
> in Economy.

The simple tasks that is the mandate of the ICANN to perform can be done
at maybe 5 percent of ICANN's budget or at least revenue. ICANN is just
highly puffed up for basically serving US's geopolitical interests Were
it not for that, it would have been 'disciplined' - including its
earning and expenditure - long long ago..

parminder