[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 09:20:22 EDT 2014

Time for some reality based thinking here.

ICANN has a lot of money, sure, however, they are spending it on IG
conferences (NetMundial, IGF, and others that you folks are happy to
participate in) at a prodigious rate.

MOST of the money they have on hand is budgeted fro legal fees in case/when
they get sued, so it is  a 'war-chest" they can't touch.

They have spent so much so fast that they are actually cutting the budget
for 2015, as new gTLD revenues are significantly lower than what was
anticipated.

The latest in this saga is that the Gala, a staple of ICANN meetings has
been cut from the Agenda.

So not wallowing in cash, actually fairly strapped for it.  These auctions
reveneues don't go into the regular budget IIRC, but are put aside in the
new gTLD kitty, in other words, they aren't really free to spend it as and
when they wish.

So it's not all fancy lunches/dinners/biz class travel for ICANN staff.  In
fact, on the way home from Durban I saw several ICANN VPs in Economy.

--
Cheers,

McTim