[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Oct 28 08:33:58 EDT 2014

On 28.10.14 13:49, JFC Morfin wrote:
> At 10:12 28/10/2014, McTim wrote:
>
>> I will be happy to declare a victory if I can convince you that
>> thinking of
>> IP resource distribution in Westphalian terms isn't useful.
>
> dear Guru and McTim,
>
> I would be happy to declare peace the day [inapropriate] dogmatisms are
> removed from where they do not belong. Please stop thinking in "XIXth
> reviewing XVIIth" paradigms. The (uncompleted) XXIth paradigm has been
> explicited by IEEE, IAB, IETF, ISOC, W3C in RFC 6852 and the way to
> administratively address it by IETF, ITU, ICANN and W3C in RFC 2691.
>
> What is archaic is the IPv6 and IDNS management entrusted to governance
> structures designed by the NTIA to manage IPv4 and the US-DNS and the
> adoration of the gods of administrative and technical status-quoes.
>
> Did any of you heard about LISP, NDN, SDN, ISO layer six, IEN 48
> objective, etc?

Excuse my intrusion in this higher-than-my-desire-to-argue level of
discussion, but...

Remember X.400? An arguably better designed, better specified and
documented protocol than SMTP, yet it failed miserably.

Why? Because the intents were malicious.

Humans seek freedom. And even when they appear to bend under governance
"for the greater good", they still continue to seek freedom.

It is indeed appropriate to remove the dogmatism in this discussion and
replace it with common sense.

The common sense says this initiative will fail. It also says this will
be yet another good example, which will be ignored, as usual.
For it is in human nature to try to demonstrate you are better (choice)
than the other guy/gal (nothing to do with technology).

Yep, I know.. ;)

Daniel

PS: In any case, do not mind being enlightened about the subtle
political differences between IPv6 and IPv4 address space management. To
my engineer mind, both are numbers. Might be the size difference creates
a new dimension?