[governance] Tweedledum and Tweedledee WAS Re: [bestbits] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

David Golumbia dgolumbia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 08:36:37 EDT 2014

i appreciate this response very much, and although I'm familiar with a
couple of the items you list, there are some things I need to catch up on
in there, which I will.

am I reading you correctly as saying that when you use phrases like
"statist" or "state-based ordering" in a critical way, what you are
critiquing is the view that states are the *exclusive *bearers of political
power (which is very clearly true; among my own concerns is that Google and
Facebook and Twitter and many others have political power that rivals or
supersedes that of states, and often directly challenges state and popular
sovereignty), but not that states should or will go away, at least not
without the consent of the people who constitute them?  that is absolutely
an established use of "statist" as a critical term (but based on my
reading, not the most common one, especially in the US), hence my focus on
this aspect of what you've written.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> wrote:

>  On 24/10/2014 5:38 pm, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>
>  I am asking informational questions in an earnest attempt to get a
> handle on who it is that has authorized or is pushing for what appears to
> be a clear rejection of values and principles that the great majority of
> people in the world would be very unlikely to give up (at least not
> easily), and what political system is being recommended to replace it.
>

> Further, it's not as if these "great majority of people" have a choice.
> The Internet (and the world) is *already* being governed by diverse
> institutions many of which have no connection with their elected
> representatives.  So the choice is not between sticking with a
> well-established system or representative democracy or switching to an
> alternative called multi-stakeholderism, as you seem to be characterising
> it.  On the contrary, it's a choice between continuing to submit to diverse
> mechanisms of ordering many of which are not state-based or democratic, or
> constructing new forms of representation that allow people, independently
> of their citizenship, to participate in global governance in ways that
> would otherwise be reserved to more powerful actors.  Meanwhile the nation
> state will continue to play its role, but in global Internet governance it
> is not not an exclusive role.
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Senior Global Policy Analyst
> Electronic Frontier Foundationhttps://eff.orgjmalcolm@eff.org
>
> Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161
>
> :: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

David Golumbia
dgolumbia at gmail.com