[governance] Tweedledum and Tweedledee WAS Re: [bestbits] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Oct 24 20:58:41 EDT 2014

On 24/10/2014 5:38 pm, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>> I am asking informational questions in an earnest attempt to get a
>> handle on who it is that has authorized or is pushing for what
>> appears to be a clear rejection of values and principles that the
>> great majority of people in the world would be very unlikely to give
>> up (at least not easily), and what political system is being
>> recommended to replace it.

Further, it's not as if these "great majority of people" have a choice.
The Internet (and the world) is /already/ being governed by diverse
institutions many of which have no connection with their elected
representatives.  So the choice is not between sticking with a
well-established system or representative democracy or switching to an
alternative called multi-stakeholderism, as you seem to be
characterising it.  On the contrary, it's a choice between continuing to
submit to diverse mechanisms of ordering many of which are not
state-based or democratic, or constructing new forms of representation
that allow people, independently of their citizenship, to participate in
global governance in ways that would otherwise be reserved to more
powerful actors.  Meanwhile the nation state will continue to play its
role, but in global Internet governance it is not not an exclusive role.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org