[governance] Re: [bestbits] IGF Open Consultation - Day 1

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue May 20 05:47:56 EDT 2014

Here follows is the informal WG meeting report on NETmundial lessons, Mark
Carell prepared.

izumi

-----

MEETING REPORT OF MAG AD HOC WORKING GROUP ON IGF OUTPUTS , UNESCO,19 MAY
2014

Moderator:  Mark Carvell (UK)

The group met yesterday evening for 90 minutes of brainstorming on
developing and enhancing IGF outcomes. About 35 members participated.
Discussion focussed on the following:

-        Importance of capitalising on the intellectual leadership of the
IGF through knowledge sharing of Internet governance challenges and
successful best practice and their impact on capacity building in
particular;

-        Building on CSTD WG recommendations and the momentum created by
the mandate on specific issues  from NETmundial;

-        Improving existing reporting mechanisms to better package, explain
and make use of the wealth of knowledge and information from IGF
discussions;

-        The importance of issues progressing though the succession from
one IGF to the next IGF;

-        Creating mechanisms for enhancing accessibility of IGF data and
reviewing improvements as a result of IGF discussions so that for example
policymakers can identify solutions that could be applied to their
particular situations;

-        Making IGF preparatory processes more inclusive and participatory
in order to identify more rigorously key issues and gear up ahead of the
IGF – learning from the NETmundial experience;

-        Developing proactive inter-sessional activity in particular more
effective linkages with the national and regional IGFs;

-        Relevance of Tunis Agenda paragraph 72 (g) on recommendations
relating to emerging issues and steps to be undertaken to transpose the
discussions  into practical steps – e.g toolkits for policymakers tailored
to local conditions and needs;

-        Modalities for IGF addressing issues identified at NETmundial in a
structured way including the use of preparatory concise briefing documents
and online interaction for inputs;

-        Holding a dedicated session in the IGF programme on outcomes;

-        Reinvigorating the “Friends of the IGF” as a contributor to the
communications strategy.

There was general agreement that allocating substantial amounts of IGF time
to negotiating was undesirable.  There was recognition that the IGF has
substantially improved the quality of internet governance discussions.

Several proposals were made specifically on developing output mechanisms,
communication and increasing interactive preparatory and follow up
processes.

There were several contributions stating that dissemination of information
provided at IGF sessions and workshops notably the Chair’s report and
workshop reports could be improved in order to communicate more effectively
areas of agreement and divergence, and identifying issues not resolved.  A
working group could be set up to implement these improvements.

There were also suggestions with regard to creating interactive
repositories of information and data and enhancing the ability to interact
with the IGF website. Survey mechanisms could also be developed.

With regard to sustaining momentum from NETmundial, a series of workshops
or special sessions relating to NETmundial topics should be added to the
Istanbul IGF programme. Documents relating to these would be posted on the
IGF website for comments and inputs. A roundtable event immediately prior
to the IGF should be held and the related IGF workshop reports posted
online as an IGF package of outputs.

Japan
www.anr.org