[governance] PINGO

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu May 15 02:57:12 EDT 2014

While accepting your overall point Garth, I think in the specifics and
particularly for ICANN there would be the need to at least argue for, if not
demonstrate that the rules were in fact being "generated from within the
system".  A case could I believe (and has been made by some) that the rules
were in fact being generated for ICANN outside the system (by corporations
or specific governments) and then "laundered" through ICANN for
implementation. (I'm not arguing one way or the other, but I would think
that much of the discussion concerning ICANN's accountability or lack
thereof (and ultimately to whom it is or should be accountable) was
precisely around that point...