AW: [governance] PINGO

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon May 12 14:51:22 EDT 2014

Hi Parminder & Norbert,

I can not find in the transcripts any statement - with the exception of the four governments I mentioned in my article - which expressed formal reservations against the document.

I know that a number of civil society organisations and also other stakeholders from the private sector, governments and technical community were not satisfied with parts of the document. But to be "not satisfied"  is different from "formal reservations/opposition".

In a multistakeholder process it is more or less unavoidable that "nobody is satisfied". To reach rough consensus means that there are many parties which did not get what they wanted. Otherwise it would be "full consensus". And it was very obvious that there was no full consensus for the NetMundial outcome document.

Nevertheless, the Sao Paulo declaration has a special meaning. Basic elements - as the principles which are very balanced and represent to a high degree civil society values - got the support of the majority of all present stakeholders. This is, as I said, remarkable and new, compared to the previous documents which were limited in scope and support.

The "limitations" are also relevant for the very interesting document adopted by the Council of the European Union (this is not the EU Commission and also not the Council of Europe). This is a document supported by the 27 member states of the EU. I have my doubts, whether the 193+ governments of the UN member states would support this document.

Net Mundial was not the end of the discussion, in particular with regard to the Roadmap. It is very good that we get now more input into a the roadmap process which will lead us into the year 2020 and beyond. And the new EU council paper is a very substantial input. As a European I would be happy if governments from non-European countries would take this document as inspiration. I also recommend, that non-governmental stakeholders take this EU Council document as a serious contribution, in particular with regard to the respect for human rights.

BTW, all EU member states are also members of the OECD and do also support the OECD Principles for Internet Policy making, which were opposed by CISAC (at least two principles). If you compare the two questionable OECD principles with Net Mundial than NetMundial looks much better from a civil society perspective.

Best wishes

wolfgang