[governance] IGC Statement in response to NTIA's announced intent to relinquish role in IANA functions

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 03:40:33 EDT 2014

*Dear Coordinators and the IGC:*

Kindly find the revised cleaned version of the Statement.

*IGC Statement Responding to NTIA's Call to Start Transitioning IANA
Functions to the Internet Global Multi-Stakeholder Community. *

On March 14, 2014, the U.S. Commerce Department's National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) announced its
intention to transition the IANA functions to the global Multistakeholder
community.

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) is the oldest civil
society network formed since pre-WSIS. The IGC welcomes this decision and
appreciates the opportunity for these functions and the stewardship of the
Internet domain name system (DNS) to further evolve toward a governance
model that is truly global and widely accepted. The IGC welcomes NTIA's
resolve to involve all stakeholders in the transition toward a
stakeholders-led administration of the DNS (what the NTIA has been
referring to as the privatization of the DNS.)

The IGC supports the multi-stakeholder policy making model as an all
inclusive, bottom-up, consensus driven model that enhances democracy by its
inclusiveness of all people from around the world who might be affected by
its policy decision processes and outcomes. The need to enhance meaningful
engagement globally is critical for the processes to be authentic and in
the global public interest.

The Multistakeholder governance model should include all sectors of the
Internet ecosystem. In the inclusive spirit of an authentic
Multistakeholder model, we stand ready to work with all stakeholders and
make sure effective consideration is given to the concerns and views of
Internet users, citizens and civil society organizations across the world.

 We support the four principles put forward by NTIA to guide IANA and the
global Internet community in the formulation of a transition proposal. It
is critical that we continue to strive for openness and global availability
of the Internet while continuously improving on its security and at the
same time preserving and furthering Civil Liberties for all Internet users
around the globe.

The IGC urges the international community and the global Internet community
to give particular attention to the cost structure associated with the
emerging governance framework so as to make effective participation
affordable for developing nations and related Internet stakeholders.
Capacity development initiatives outreach and are also critical in
improving access and enabling meaningful participation.

For clarification or to contact the IGC email coordinators at igcaucus.org

*Ends*