[governance] IGC Statement in response to NTIA's announced intent to relinquish role in IANA functions

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 07:46:32 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> My last word in this process and I let you guys wrap up with whatever you
> wish. Promised! (It just happens that as I was at the hotel yesterdays and
> still am this early before I hit the road, I'm reading your discussions and
> try to respond as I can. But I will be starting the actual fieldwork in a
> couple of hours and will no longer bother you.)
>
> That sentence is obviously (at least it should be obvious to any attentive
> reader that it is) a theoretical construction, one that is based (at least
> in part) on hypotheticals in order to say, as Sala pointed out, what
> multi-stakeholder(ism) (M/S) is NOT.
>
> Has M/S ever been inter-governmental?

YES!

>  Not even a chance!

I consider all that happens in Geneva in re: IG an "inter-governmental" MS
model, in that the UN/ITU folks pay lip service to MSism, but the processes
are not truly open, transparent, consensus based, etc.

> Yet, we also say "We understand the M/S as distinct from the
> intergovernmental model" etc. I do understand the intergovernmental model
> exists, even if it anything but M/S. And you're saying On the other hand,
> beyond referring to and supporting M/S, the NTIA's announcement explicitly
> lists a number of I* organizations for ICANN to work with while it doesn't
> mention "civil society" not even once

In my view, true MSism has zero silos.  Everyone comes together without
labels to work together, so why mention silos if there shouldn't be any.
 That is more the Geneva style of MSism.

> and anything "governmental" is only mentioned to be excluded. So yes, some
> may say there is a risk to have a governance model led or dominated by such
> technical standards bodies, etc. BTW, when IETF develops standards (and we
> understand one has to have some technical expertise and ideas win based
> on..., well, technical merit, but) is there ever a point where there is a
> debate about societal implications of those standards?

yes

> If there ever was, are there other stakeholders involved than the same
> people who are conversant in technical standards development/specification
> and who actually developed the said standards?

yes, but not involved as in formal representation of Geneva style silos.

--
Cheers,

McTim