[governance] Finding IGC voice... again, on NETMundial and beyond.

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 07:40:30 EST 2014

As it has been brought to my attention that my comments and question were
not clear enough to some, here is another way of stating my concerns
quoting from the original text (with a reiteration of my comments in square
brackets and caps).

<quote>

The DNSA would require a binding contract with ICANN regarding the
conditions under which

it would agree to implement changes in the root zone or other associated
databases to reflect policies

emerging from ICANN's policy development processes [WHO WILL BE THE
ENFORCER IN ODER TO MAKE SUCH CONTRACT BINDING?]. The contract should
ensure that the DNSA

has no policy authority but merely implements valid requests for additions
or deletions emerging from

ICANN's policy process [NOTED!]. DNSA would promise to abide by ICANN
policy directives on the

condition that ICANN's policy decisions related to the root not be used to
impose requirements on

registries, via registry agreements, to regulate content or otherwise
locally lawful behavior of registrants.

The existence of this contract would provide the opportunity for developing
an additional accountability

check on ICANN [HOW SO? AGAIN WHO IS THE AUTHORITY THAT WOULD MAKE THIS
SO-CALLED "ADDITIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY" EFFECTIVE?]. For example, if the
contract was not in perpetuity but was renewable every five

years, diverse entities might compete to replace the existing ICANN as the
policy development

authority [SO HERE IS THE CRUX: YOU SEEM TO BE SUGGESTING THAT ONE OF THOSE
PARTIES, THE DNSA, IS IN A POSITION TO AWARD THIS CONTRACT TO THE OTHER,
AND SO IT MIGHT AT SOME POINT WITHDRAW IT FROM THAT OTHER PARTY AND AWARD
IT TO ANOTHER -- NOT UNLIKE THE POSITION THE USG WAS IN WITH ICANN. DO YOU
UNDERSTAND THE TENSION? AT THE VERY LEAST THERE IS A GAP IN YOUR EXPLAINING
REGARDING THE FULL MECHANISMS OF THIS CONTRACTING, BUT YOU CAN'T JUST SAY
DNSA HAS NO POLICY AUTHORITY WHILE IMPLYING IT MIGHT TAKE THE CONTRACT AWAY
FROM ICANN (SINCE YOU HAVEN'T EXPLAINED WHERE ELSE THE AUTHORITY FOR DOING
THAT WOULD LIE IN THAT RELATIONSHIP OR GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE.] As for the
DNSA, as a private association of incumbent registries, any attempt by it to

manipulate root zone management to thwart competition or discriminate
against eligible members would

be easily challenged by competition law authorities in Europe, the U.S., or
elsewhere

</quote>

Mawaki