[governance] Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 11:03:06 EDT 2014

I agree with Mawaki's suggestion to share ideas about this issue online.
Apart from other considerations the list provides a much more inclusive
space for discussion. Many IGC members haven't even considered the
possibility of going to Istanbul for all sorts of reasons - family
obligations, funding, travel restrictions, work ... I am lucky enough to be
able to consider going, but I'm still looking for funds.

My take on the IGC? I still feel that, in spite of all the difficulties
there have been, the IGC still provides a space to aggregate many of the
differing views that "civil society" holds about Internet governance.
Please note that I said "many" not "all". I believe that this aggregation
is important and useful, and worth investing some energy to ensure that it
continues.

To create an umbrella organisation like ICCBasis - I agree with what
Michael Gurstein said later in this thread, thank him for reminding us of
the part played by trust (lack of) in this whole consideration, and would
like to comment directly on some of the points he raises.

I hope very much that this will be a fruitful and productive discussion.
Deirdre

On 26 June 2014 13:04, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for the suggestion. However, could we start the discussion here
> and formulate ideas, propositions that may then shape the agenda for
> further IGC discussion in Istanbul? Unless one thinks that would be totally
> counter-productive to start this process on this list, this might be IMHO a
> more inclusive option (particularly in case we don't have remote
> participation logistic in place in Istanbul for this kind of
> preparatory/parallel meeting.)
>
> Now personally and at this point in time, I have no resources to
> physically attend the upcoming IGF, and I'm not even sure Deirdre has --
> which is not to say no IGC face-to-face meeting cannot take place without
> both cocos. But I think it would be a good thing to have something prepared
> ahead of time for any such meeting, with or without the physical presence
> of any or both cocos.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mawaki
>

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM, chlebrum . <chlebrum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, good idea. We could have a face-to-face at Istanbul IGF meeting.
>> Turkish complex is very big so perhaps we could have a room for this...
>>
>> Chantal Lebrument
>> EUROLINC

>> Hello everyone, Mawaki Hello,
>>>
>>> I think that after the NetMundial Sao Paulo, we must consider the
>>> evolution of our caucus relative to the current context. Is what to revise
>>> or redefine the guidelines or objectives of the IGC?
>>>
>>> The IGC has made his experience since 2003 and is one of the few
>>> platforms of civil society exist and is still operational.
>>>
>>> ICANN is mutating slowly towards autonomous international stature, IGF
>>> gradually consolidated at the national level and what can be the role of
>>> the IGC in the coming years?
>>>
>>> I propose the organization of a workshop for all members, a workshop
>>> face to face, so we can discuss the future of the IGC.

>>> --
>>> *SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*
>>> *REPRESENTANT OFFICIEL TICAFRICA ET CYBERVILLAGE at FRICA/RDC*
>>>
>>> *COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFECCOORDINATION NATIONALE REPRONTIC*
>>>
>>> Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
>>> email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
>>> skype                 : b.schombe
>>> blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr

>>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

>> --
>> Chantal Lebrument
>>
>> Courriel: lebrument at open-root.eu
>> Mob: +33 6 8369 5460

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979