[governance] Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 02:56:35 EDT 2014

I also won’t likely be in Istanbul so let me make my contribution here.

Under normal circumstances there would certainly be a value and use in
having a single umbrella under which the variety of civil society
perspectives might meet to find common ground on some issues and agree to
respectfully disagree on other issues.  There are possibly/probably
sufficient numbers of issues on which there is general agreement to warrant
such an initiative.

However, in order to achieve this there needs to be at least a minimum level
of decorum i.e. some sort of “netiquette” that ensures that the “umbrella”
is a “safe place” for folks to raise issues and respond to issues.  In the
absence of that nothing else is possible.

Also, a minimum level of mutual respect if not for the person at least for
the position is required.  Disagreements on principles need to be recognized
as inevitable but there also needs to be a recognition that contradictory
positions/priorities have validity and are respected if not adopted.

Finally, a minimum degree of trust is required i.e. that motivations and
agendas are more or less explicit and differences and positions are matters
of principle rather than matters of strategy or tactics. I’m not sure how to
achieve that degree of trust in a global, distributed and for the most part
virtual context, but that is our challenge.