[bestbits] Re: [governance] Your key ICANN issues as a user

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Jun 19 17:51:44 EDT 2014

John, the focus is very much on the narrow “internet community” rather than the broader community of internet users. I think that should change.

There is very little that suggests to me that the current expenditure on “facilitating global participation in the policy development process” (largely travel assistance for insiders) results in either better policy, more globally inclusive policy development processes, or more efficient processes.

As an example I could mention the currently being formed committee of 27 (!) to look at IANA transition, which cant even find one dedicated space for civil society among its members. Although I certainly wouldnt recommend expanding the committee beyond 27 because it is already too large to be efficient, I do think the most likely outcome is going to be a quagmire extending its deliberations way beyond 2015.

However, I appreciate that many people here think ICANN is wonderful. But even if it were efficient, and ICANN could be held up as a shining light as to how to engage stakeholders from all over the world, I would still argue that devotion of a percentage of its income to dealing with wider internet related social issues would be a worthwhile step.

Ian Peter