[bestbits] Re: [governance] Your key ICANN issues as a user

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 20:16:47 EDT 2014

On 19 June 2014 17:51, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

>   John, the focus is very much on the narrow “internet community” rather
> than the broader community of internet users. I think that should change.

In fact the next message to arrive in my mail after Ian's was an ICANN News
Alert - Universal Acceptance of TLDs Draft Roadmap  which gives as its
Purpose (Brief):  To solicit community comment on draft roadmap for the
Universal Acceptance Initiative.

There are a couple of loose terms in this: "universal" and "community".
During the ICANN session at NETmundial I asked who ICANN meant when it uses
the term "community". I'm still not sure of the answer. Roosevelt (ROK) in
an earlier message in this string wrote "ICANN is about end users". So now
I would like to know - all end users or just some of them?

I share Ian's concern about the committee of 27 that he mentions below.
Following NETmundial I expected this committee to be inclusive in nature,
but in fact it is exclusive in its composition since it indicates very
precisely where delegates should come from.

> As an example I could mention the currently being formed committee of 27
> (!) to look at IANA transition, which cant even find one dedicated space
> for civil society among its members. Although I certainly wouldnt recommend
> expanding the committee beyond 27 because it is already too large to be
> efficient, I do think the most likely outcome is going to be a quagmire
> extending its deliberations way beyond 2015.

It feels very uncomfortable to play dungeons and dragons with language.
There are progressively fewer of the words we currently use in these
discussions that we can rely on not to commit us to something we didn't
intend when we use them.

Do others share this concern?

Deirdre

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979