[governance] Your key ICANN issues as a user

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Jun 19 17:23:32 EDT 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 5:07 PM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> ICANN collects Internet taxes from domain name owners. It is a non profit company.
>
> I would like to see ICANN devote a percentage of its considerable income to addressing social issues associated with the Internet, eg digital divide.

Ian -

   To the extent that ICANN is recovering costs associated with the registry
   policy development or registry administration, I am not sure it's appropriate
   to characterize them them as "Internet taxes".

   The use of such proceeds to facilitate global participation in the policy
   development process, or accountability and transparency review, or
   similar registry-related capacity-building makes perfect sense, but that
   is probably more focused than the type of activities you are suggesting?

Thanks,
/John

Disclaimer:  my views alone.