CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Jul 30 01:33:26 EDT 2014

A couple of things we might want to argue for as basic principles occur to me as I read these issues.

1. Nothing in multistakeholder governance overrides the sovereignty of nation states when it comes to purely national issues (we may as well agree to something like that, because nation states will insist on it anyway and we will get a lot more common sense if we include a reference to”purely national issues”.

2. In matters where pecuniary interests or individual national sovereignty interests are involved, it is important in the multistakeholder model for affected parties to both declare these interests and to agree not to block what would otherwise be a global consensus on policy to deal with such issues.

Just a couple of thoughts – others may have better wording, but it would be good to embed a few such principles in a path forward. Without the second one, for example, multistakeholderism is a farce.

Ian Peter