CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:36:08 EDT 2014

Two comments on this below…

The first is that the ``Multistakeholder`` description includes ``users`` but not ``non-users`` i.e. everyone else…

Since for better or for worse everyone in the world is now impacted in one way or another by the Internet whether they are ``users`` or not, some means for eliciting/facilitating/enabling participation in these processes by (current) non-users must be included in these formulations. That such was not provided for in the original NetMundial statement is I think a significant and negative reflection on the ultimate composition of the NetMundial meeting itself and particularly of those who drafted the statement.

The second is that I would have thought that you should have included in your statement the commitment from the NetMundial document that the Internet is to be ``managed in the public interest``… It seems to me that this statement provides a basic metric against which to measure all subsequent formulations and outputs including those of the IGF even in the absence of any clear agreement on what might be specifically meant by this phrase.