CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Jul 28 20:54:09 EDT 2014

Interesting Deirdre.

The Oxford Dictionary gives the word both meanings, with the one you mention tied specifically to gambling instances.

But more broadly, it also defines stakeholder as

“A person with an interest or concern in something”

which I think works well for our context.

Interestingly, the Oxford or any other dictionary does not yet define multistakeholder.

Definitions seem to vary. According to Lawrence E. Strickling, U.S. Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information, and NTIA Administrator, "the multistakeholder process, ... involves the full involvement of all stakeholders, consensus-based decision-making and operating in an open, transparent and accountable manner”. So that seems to be what one product champion (US Government) seems to think it is.

I think there is plenty of room for improvement and clarification there.

Ian