CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jul 29 05:11:09 EDT 2014

Ian, probably multistakeholder is not  defined yet because it is
composed of two words multiple-stakeholders. And stakeholder too is
composed of two words stake-holder. Technically then, Multistakeholder
is composed of three words

On 29/07/2014, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
> Interesting Deirdre.
>
> The Oxford Dictionary gives the word both meanings, with the one you mention
> tied specifically to gambling instances.
>
> But more broadly, it also defines stakeholder as
>
> "A person with an interest or concern in something"
>
> which I think works well for our context.
>
> Interestingly, the Oxford or any other dictionary does not yet define
> multistakeholder.
>
> Definitions seem to vary. According to Lawrence E. Strickling, U.S.
> Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information, and NTIA
> Administrator, "the multistakeholder process, ... involves the full
> involvement of all stakeholders, consensus-based decision-making and
> operating in an open, transparent and accountable manner". So that seems to
> be what one product champion (US Government) seems to think it is.
>
> I think there is plenty of room for improvement and clarification there.
>
> Ian

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh

The best athletes never started as the best athletes.
You have to think anyway, so why not think big? - Donald Trump.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky.
Tackle the biggest frog first.
I will persist until I succeed - Og Mandino.