CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Jul 27 17:27:05 EDT 2014

On 27-Jul-14 15:09, Nnenna Nwakanma wrote:
> Avri, how will this "equal footing" within stakeholder groups, as was
> seen in NetMundial include actors who are not physically present?

In my thinking, remote participation has to be real.  I am not sure the
technology is in place yet, and it is obvioius that not everyone has the
access or bandwidth.  So that is were more development and capacity
building is needed to meet the goal of equal footing and were
intermediate hub-like solutions may offer some help.

> Or we talking process  or events or both? Are we talking  "tacking
> Internet issues on global level" or are we including regional and
> national levels?

I tend to think that the defniton can work at the regional level, though
I am more thinking global level.

At the national level, there is a real notion of citizenship that needs
to be taken into account especially in countries where people have a
'real' vote, for some definition of representative democracy and real
voting.  I still believe a multistakeholder model is necessary, but i
think it comes out differently and needs a definition that take
citizenship into account.

> Does anyone have  an "equal footing" example at country levels?

I think Switzerland comes closer than many with.

> ... Still thinking..

me too.

Avri