CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Jul 27 18:30:20 EDT 2014

Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> At the national level, there is a real notion of citizenship that
> needs to be taken into account especially in countries where people
> have a 'real' vote, for some definition of representative democracy
> and real voting.  I still believe a multistakeholder model is
> necessary, but i think it comes out differently and needs a
> definition that take citizenship into account.
>
> > Does anyone have an "equal footing" example at country levels?
>
> I think Switzerland comes closer than many with.

It may be worth noting that to the (not insignificant) extent that
multistakeholder processes are part of the Swiss political system,
people who are not Swiss citizens are not discriminated against in
regard to full participation in those multistakeholder processes. While
presenting a passport or equivalent identification is required when
entering some of the government buildings where some of the meetings
take place, a foreign passport will be perfectly accepted.

Greetings,
Norbert