[governance] Vint Cerf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:24:11 EDT 2014

While I find your reading clearly substantiated by the content of the
material, I just wonder what those people who regularly lambaste the use of
the terms/qualifiers "democratic" and "international" in this context would
now say to Cerf about him referring to an "international multistakeholder
community" (2:12) and an "even more democratic framework" (2:22).

As for me, nations first are peoples -- and that is implied in the
terminology of the name "United Nations" as much as their decision-making
procedures were designed mainly to be States-based because of what was
conceivable at the historical moment the UN was constituted. But
"international" does not have to mean "intergovernmental" -- or at least
not that preeminently, much less exclusively. And why would anything "more
democratic" be rejected or fought against by civil society?? So on those
two specific points I'd oddly agree more with Google's Internet Evangelist
than with some CS members here ;)

 Mawaki